Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh not using w3n or elinks

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh not using w3n or elinks
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 09:03:10 -0400

ken wrote:
 > >It shouldn't be hard to code up a reasonably portable script that would
 > >do this.
 > >
 > >I still like the idea of including a simple built-in formatter.  I will
 > >go play with htmlfmt and see just how much work it will be to port it.
 >
 > I'm fine with either of these options.  If we include htmlfmt, it might make
 > sense to include the other entries for text/html in the mhn.defaults but
 > commented out, so people can see some examples.

that's a very good idea.  tested templates are always helpful.

but now that i'm thinking about wrapper scripts, i wonder if they
might be useful for other things as well.

for instance:  for mhstore -- where and how i save a file varies
almost every time i do so.  a helper script that suggested a filename,
but let me edit it, might be just the thing.

another example:  the notion that there's just one answer to "how
should i display <foo>?" is a little naive.  i'm sure we all might use
any of several apps to view a specific type of content.  i have a
monolithic script that helps me deal with attachments (or inlines ;-).
when it sees application/pdf, it asks me whether it should use xpdf,
okular, or acroread, and arranges for an MHSHOW variable that will do
the right thing.  for msword it similarly gives me a choice between
antiword or libreoffice.  i'll bet all that prompting could be done
using individual wrapper scripts invoked from
mhshow-show-application/<foo> entries.

i'm not really proposing anything here -- more like thinking out loud.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 63.1 degrees)