Re: [Nmh-workers] modernizing smtp message submission

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] modernizing smtp message submission
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 21:44:38 -0700

> I didn't think that 587 requires AUTH;

It does. That's its entire point.  (Read the RFC.)

> I was pretty sure that I have used
> submit on localhost,

That (and what you described after) isn't 'submission'.  Port 587 is all about
authenticated SMTP-like email submission.

Talking to sendmail on 127.0.0.1 or ::1 isn't the same thing.

Long ago I taught sendmail to listen on named sockets.  I had a crazy idea that
/var/run/submission might become the default submission interface for local
email.  Sadly, it never caught on.