Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing

From: Jon Fairbairn
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 14:53:02 +0100

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
> I was under the impression that even back in the day, that format was not
> common.  If you've got mail that old, would you care to check and see how
> much you have with addresses like that?

It looks like the peak was in 1995 (in my kept mail). Owing to a
series of unfortunate events, I don’t have any mail from before
about 1989, but for what I do have, it was low then, increased
to 1995 and tailed off again, with hardly any after 2005.

As to proportions, I have about 1800 messages (out of something
like 50000 total) with () in the addresses, but some of those
really are comments (and some a bit more ambiguous, such as
address@hidden (Mail Delivery Subsystem) where one could split
hairs about whether that was a comment or the entity’s name),
but I haven’t worked out what the proportion was in 1995.

--
Jón Fairbairn                                 address@hidden