Re: [Nmh-workers] Trying, and failing, to install the optional replyfilt

From: norm
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Trying, and failing, to install the optional replyfilter
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:25:28 -0700

David Levine <address@hidden> writes:
>Norm wrote:

>OK, you've motivated me to set up replyfilter :-)
>
>I couldn't get it to work, either, unless I did this:
>
>repl -format
>
>or
>
>repl -filter mhl.reply
>
>That follows from the repl(1) man page, but it would be better for the
>comments in replyfilter to make that clear. And those assume that mhl.reply
>is installed in either the nmh etc directory or in the user's nmh directory.
>
>The contents of mhl.reply are shown in the replyfilter script.
>
>One more thing, if you don't have par (rpm -q par) already, you'll need to
>install it (sudo yum install par).

None of my yum repositories, had it. So I got it from
http://www.nicemice.net/par/ .

Also, I had to use yum to install several non-standard perl modules.

>Ken, is there a way to simplify this? Maybe provide a mhl.replyfilterc in etc
>and move replyfilter to lib? Then the script could suggest just this one
>step:
>
>-filter mhl.replyfilter -fmtproc replyfilter
>
>Also, replyfilter gets installed without execute permission, because
>INSTALL_DATA has -m 644. Installing it in lib would preserve its execute
>permission.

For a user capable of doing everything else I had to do, to get replyfilter
working, changing the execute bits is pretty trivial.

>For users who already use a -filter, it'll take effort to figure out how to
>merge them. And I use different filters for different purposes, so multiple
>times.

I'm wondering if:

        The default filter (given in the comments to replyfilter) shouldn't
        include a "foobar writes"

     or

At least, for now, I have decided to not use replyfilter. Instead, I will
continue to do what I have been doing. When necessary, I use mhshow, to get
some text, select it, put it into my editor (norms-cool-editor), and do a
regex replacement to insert the "> " prefixes.

A nit, the nmh command is repl not reply, so replyfilter should have been
spelled replfilter.

What should nmh-1.7, do in about mime, in replying? I don't know. But I don't
think that the answer is incorporating most of the options of mhshow into
repl.

    Norman Shapiro