Re: [Nmh-workers] Items for nmh 1.7

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Items for nmh 1.7
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:28:59 -0400

>OK, I may be too busy to contribute at the moment but I can't ignore
>provocative messages like this one :)

I hope you realize that was all in good fun; I really wish we never broke
anything, but I don't think it's avoidable.

>I don't use any custom mhl so I'm fine if it changes.  *BUT*, I think that
>the default behavior after the change should be the same as the default
>behavior today unless there's a good reason to change it.  It would probably
>be nice for heavy mhl users to have a converter from old to new.

So you want the default behavior of mhl to simply dump out the complete
body of a message, without doing any MIME decoding at all?  That just
seems lousy to me, and also incredibly non-useful.  Are people depending
on that behavior?

>BTW, this may just be laziness on my part, but one thing that really annoys
>me these days is receiving an email sent from a phone.  The message displays
>just fine, but when I reply to it the original message doesn't get decoded;
>it's included as base-64.  I also notice this with some other messages that
>are quoted/printable with the = stuff.  Is there some way to make this work
>that I just haven't taken the trouble to do?  If so, please clue me in.  If
>not, it's something that I think needs to be addressed.

If I was a smart-ass, I'd say, "Boy, you really DON'T read the release
notes, do you?" :-)

But yes, there's been a solution since 1.5 came out.  It's called
replyfilter, and it's in the nmh contrib directory; it should be part of
your install.  If you look at it, it will contain directions on how to
set it up.  There was even a recent email thread about people trying to
use it (but ultimately Norm decided he didn't want to use it).  I won't
claim it's perfect, but I use it every day and it's a whole lot better than
it used to be.