Re: [Nmh-workers] First idea of a Bison-based address parser available

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] First idea of a Bison-based address parser available
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:50:16 -0400

>> Across different rules, where does the CFWS end up at when a reduction
>> happens?  However, it really doesn't matter where CFWS ends up since
>> we ignore it (except for the case of the old-style addresses).
>
>Rather than settle all the shift/reduce conflicts with %prec, etc.,
>could it be that a different parsing technique would be more suited,
>e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsing_expression_grammar always
>picks the first rule so you can remove ambiguity by careful ordering.
>Still work required, but different work.  :-)

The advantage here is that yacc/bison (I'm only targeting bison) is pretty
standard in terms of basic Unix development tools.  Another tool isn't
necessarily so widespread.

(Also, I did try sprinkling around some %prec directives, but I guess I
didn't understand how it worked because it made no difference).