Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a c

From: Doug Wellington
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:55:18 -0700

Previously:
> To me the value of a to-do and calendar list is ubiquity. The iCloud
> Reminders and calendar work on my phone, desktop, iPad ... if I think of
> something to add, one of those devices is always nearby.

You and I seem to have different definitions of "ubiquity"...  ;)

I have, and despise, an iPad.  (Where the heck is shift-click anyway?
And how do you plug a mouse into this thing?  What if I *don't* want to
upgrade to iOS 8???)  There's a Macbook and an iMac in the house, plus I
have a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1 and and an HP Pavilion with
Windows Vista, and also an ASUS Transformer and a couple Kindles.  I
have several Linux computers.  I have a Galaxy S2 running CyanogenMod
and a Nokia Lumia 635 Windows phone that matches my Microsoft Band
nicely thank you very much.  But they all suck in one way or another,
LOL!

At work, I have a bunch of Linux computers and a Windows 7 box.  Since I
work for a defense contractor, I can't carry any personal electronics at
work, so I can only access my files/lists/calendar from either the
Winders box or one of the Linux boxes.

> I can't speak for what happened to Chandler, but those guys were getting
> paid and ... well, a quick web search makes it seem like they had
> trouble shipping a product..

[AynRand]
Well, just my opinion of course, but I think it was a fairly typical
failed open-source experiment.  Mr. Kapor threw a few million bucks at a
project with some lofty ideals, but from what I can tell, no set
expectations and no down-sides, so I'm not shocked that it ended the way
it did.
[/AynRand]

Also:
> Jeez, 'vi ~/todo' has been working fine for me for 25 years now.

Yep, that's where Dropbox starts to look good.  Writing my own program
using SQLite to store calendaring and to-dos in a file stored on my
Dropbox is definitely a consideration, especially if they start to
support Windows Phone.  (Says the guy who carries a clipboard and
scribbles in a ScoutBook every day...)

And:
> if we'd like MH to become relevant and remain relevant, it has to
> become a reasonable bearer channel for the apps that our families
> without shells or terminals can use to exchange data with us.

Indeed.  There's that idea of ubiquity again...

BTW, anybody else here try Heroku?  I'm playing with Scala and Clojure
on Heroku, wondering if that's the direction to pursue...

Regards,
Doug