Re: [Nmh-workers] show message number scrolls off terminal?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] show message number scrolls off terminal?
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 00:32:23 -0500

> > But I don't have that for things like "next", and what happens is AFTER
> > I quit the pager, I see the line:
> >
> > (Message inbox:xxx)
>
>after?  i suppose if your pager does the screen switch thing, then it
>might appear to come after, but it's definitely being output before.

Oh, definitely, but the screen switching thing done by
curses/termcap/terminfo for xterm.  I thought it was pretty standardized
now, that's why I'm surprised it didn't work for Andy.

> > Contrary to it's name, "show"'s job isn't really to display a message;
> > it's to SELECT one or more messages for display.  Hence the reason
> > "next" and "prev" are really links to "show".  Once messages have been
> > selected, it's really supposed to be your showproc's job to display the
> > message, and the default showproc is mhl.  This suggests to me not that
> > we should switch show over to mhshow, but really make mhl MIME-aware.
> > Then show would get the relevant switches for things like MIME part
> > selection (which would end up being passed down to mhl) and mhshow would
> > go away.  Well, we'd keep a link around for it, but really, mhshow would
> > just become show.
>
>okay.  i'll have to think about that some.

As a corollary, I have no objections to people improving show/mhshow.  I'm
just trying to explain what I think the long-term vision should be.

You can see some of my thoughts on a "new MIME" architecture here:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-07/msg00058.html