Re: [Nmh-workers] Sending Email with a huge attachment

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Sending Email with a huge attachment
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 13:58:12 -0400

>I tried to send a message  with a 4.7G attachment, using:

Wow ... now THAT is huge.  I'm wondering who would be able to receive such
a message?

>       send  -port smtp -server localhost 1
>
>I got:
>       post: posting failed; [NDEL] 552 5.3.4 Error: message file too big
>
>How can I determine the size limit?
>Do I have any control over the size limit?

In theory, since you are sending to your local MTA (see previous emails
why I think this is a bad idea, but let's not rehash that anymore), the
answers to both of those questions should be "yes".  At least when
I send email, the SMTP server announces the size as part of the protocol
exchange and you can see that with the -snoop flag.  I see:

<= 250-SIZE 209715200

You would need to see the documentation for your local MTA to see what
the default is and how to change it.  But you won't have control over the
recipient's MTA, and they will probably reject it ... and maybe they will
tell you the limit, maybe not.