Re: [Nmh-workers] mhn

From: Robert Elz
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhn
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 20:36:34 +0700

    Date:        Sat, 22 Apr 2017 13:04:55 +0100
    From:        Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden>

  | > I'd prefer to wait for the release after 1.7.
  | There's always one!  :-)

The nmh 1.5 man page for mhn as as its (complete) DESCRIPTION
(all in bold no less)

DESCRIPTION
       MHN SHOULD BE CONSIDERED DEPRECATED. IT IS RETAINED FOR THE PURPOSE OF
       BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY, BUT EVERYONE SHOULD MIGRATE TO USING THE
       COMMANDS MHSHOW, MHSTORE, AND MHLIST. CHECK THE INDIVIDUAL MAN PAGES
       FOR DETAILS.

In nmh 1.6 it changed to be ...

DESCRIPTION
       Mhn is deprecated. It is retained only for backwards compatibility.

       You should migrate to using the commands mhlist, mhshow, and mhstore.

(again, that's the whole thing, in neither is there any clue what it does,
nor what any of the flags are, ...)

The one argument for keeping mhn in 1.7 is that it allows nmh 1.7 to
be released soon, without needing to depend upon an updated exmh being
released first - which also reduces the pressure on a quick release of
a new exmh version (the last "semi" release, 2,8.0, wasn't really done
properly, and most systems I have seen are still using 2.7.2)

Certainly the "I'm still using it" excuse is absurd - the only way anyone
still using mhn (outside exmh) will change, is when there is no longer a
mhn for them to use - anyone who was ever going to update voluntarily
would have already done so.

kre