Re: [Nmh-workers] Incorporating RSS and Atom feeds

From: Leonardo Taccari
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Incorporating RSS and Atom feeds
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 14:25:25 +0200

Hello Thomas!

Thomas Levine writes:
> I have incorporated RSS and Atom feeds as MH messages so that I may read the
> feeds with nmh.
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/fh
> https://thomaslevine.com/scm/fh/artifact/4f0dd5f8873a8d17
>
> Has someone else already written a better version of this? My implementation
> so far has only some of the features that I want.

I'm pretty happy with rss2email. Apart some (pkgsrc) LOCALPATCHES[0]
all the works is done by an AWK script (and `rsssm' calls it in order to
ignore all possible - and irrelevant - sendmail flags passed by
rss2email):

% cat rsssm
#!/bin/sh

rsssm-plumber
% cat rsssm-plumber
#!/usr/bin/awk -f

/^To:/ {
        if (!folder) {
                to = $2
                sub(/@.*/, "", to)
                folder = to
                storer = "MH=~/.mh_rss_profile /usr/pkg/libexec/nmh/rcvstore +"
folder
        }
}

{
        if (!storer) {
                lines = (lines) ?  lines "\n" $0 : $0
        } else {
                if (lines) {
                        print lines "\n" $0 | storer
                        lines = ""
                } else {
                        print $0 | storer
                }
        }
}

END {
        close(storer)
}

...then I just set in ~/.config/rss2email.cfg

 email-protocol = sendmail
 sendmail = /home/leot/bin/rsssm

...and adjust every feed entry as follows:

 [feed.example]
 url = http://www.example.org/feed.rss
 to = address@hidden

In that way `rsssm-plumber' will just process the `To:' header and
then store the feed^Wmails accordingly in the `+example' folder.

[0]: https://www.NetBSD.org/~leot/pkgsrc-localpatches/mail/rss2email/