Re: [Nmh-workers] Request Deprecation of mts.conf's mmdelim1 and mmdelim

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Request Deprecation of mts.conf's mmdelim1 and mmdelim2.
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 10:06:32 -0400

>It seems it has been simply be carried along from original Unix
>mail storage, and never has been properly adjusted thereafter.
>POSIX also standardized this loose format which was in use since
>that beginning.  RFC 4155 defined a more proper format.

I think there are two things that are being conflated here: the
various "standards" of the mbox format, and nmh's use of it.

Since nmh doesn't use mbox as a mail store, things like RFC 4155 aren't
really relevant; we don't deal with mbox files except for two specific
tools.  So our goal here is to deal with existing mail DROPS (I use
that term to specify a place where external tools store mail where nmh
can read it).

Of course, the more I dig into it the more fun I find.  For example:

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

Which suggests that SOME mbox formats do perform reversible
From-munging.  Urrrk.

This suggests to me that a "next-gen" maildrop parser should be prepared
to handle what Wikipedia calls "mboxo" and "mboxrd" format.  A web page
linked to on that page suggests that on Linux Content-Length variants
(mboxcl and mboxcl2) are more common on Linux, but I am skeptical that
is true.

I realize this wouldn't happen for likely a while, but would people be
happy with just mboxo and mboxrd support in terms of maildrop parsing?
And does anyone see Content-Length headers in their maildrops anymore?