Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg on a pathological mail

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg on a pathological mail
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 08:46:33 -0400

Ralph wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> > isn't that sort of the point of mhfixmsg?  to fix poorly or illegally
> > formatted email?
>
> Good point, but I think it uses the stock nmh code for parsing emails
> rather than have it own code that is cluttered with wart handling.

Yes.  mhparse works quite nicely for this.

Note that mhfixmsg's purpose is to "rewrite nmh MIME messages".  It
handles some bad formatting, but I don't think we should be too
aggressive with that.

Wait, that used to say "rewrite MIME messages".  Larry's rework of the
man pages inserted "nmh" before "messages" in a bunch of places, see
below.  The man pages sometimes refer to messages, as defined by the
RFCs, not nmh.  Any objection to removing "nmh" from before "messages"
from at least some of these?  I'll do it for mhical right now, that's
definitely not intended.  Does anyone have time to go through the others?

David

anno - annotate nmh messages
burst - explode digests into nmh messages
comp - compose an nmh message
dist - redistribute an nmh message to additional addresses
flist, flists - list the number of nmh messages in given sequence(s)
folder, folders - set/list current nmh folder/message
forw - forward nmh messages
mark - manipulate nmh message sequences
mhbuild - translate MIME composition drafts for nmh messages
mhfixmsg - rewrite nmh MIME messages with various transformations
mhical - manipulate iCalendar event requests in nmh messages
mhlist - list information about nmh MIME messages
mh-mime - Overview of nmh MIME message composition and display
mhshow - display nmh MIME messages
mhstore - store contents of nmh MIME messages into files
next - show the next nmh message
pick - search for nmh messages by content
post - deliver an nmh message
prev - show the previous nmh message
repl - reply to an nmh message
scan - produce a one line per nmh message scan listing
send - send an nmh message
show - show (display) nmh messages
sortm - sort nmh messages
whatnow - prompting front-end for sending nmh messages
whom - report to whom an nmh message would go