Re: [Nmh-workers] Call for testing of nmh 1.7 release candidate 3

From: Kevin Cosgrove
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Call for testing of nmh 1.7 release candidate 3
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:37:01 -0700

On 25 August 2017 at 23:42, Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for trying RC3.
>
> > In some of the failures are lines like these in the diff's
> >
> >   + localuser:kevinc being removed from access control list
> >
> > That's coming from my 'xhost -SI:localuser:kevinc' setting which I use
> > exclusively to keep exmh happy.  Ironic.
>
> Yes, but where is that command?  It seems like running commands within
> the test suite is running your xhost.  Files like .cshrc and .bashrc are
> meant to be silent and produce no output, otherwise things like this,
> and `:e *.c' in old vi get confused as the $SHELL kicked off to expand
> globs, for example, produces not only foo.c and bar.c, but `...being
> removed from...' as well.

xhost is in my .login file.  I commented it out, started a new
shell, and the make check ran the same way.  My current shell might
be remembering or passing something.  When I get a chance to start a
completely fresh shell, then I'll try again.

> This was one reason why xterm(1) should be kicked off as a login shell
> with -l, or the equivalent resource setting, and one-off things done in
> a .profile rather than a per-shell .*rc file.

I can certainly see wanting to have a customization-free environment.

Cheerio...

--
Kevin