Re: [Nmh-workers] IMAP/nmh, again

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] IMAP/nmh, again
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 15:33:33 -0400

>The tests with that public IMAP server are presumably accessing content
>that it has readily to hand, e.g. in RAM.  I suspect a lot of commercial
>IMAP servers, e.g. what comes thrown in with one's broadband connection,
>are over-subscribed so there's a bit of competition for whose Maildir
>dirents, and mail itself, sits in RAM.

That is certainly true!  Although I believe that the Cyrus server I
am using at CMU serves email up for their users as well (it is my
understanding that Cyrus stores email in a database, unlike Dovecot,
so maybe it does better under a heavier workload).

I guss my thinking was that people have been saying an IMAP connection
per command would be too slow, but ... well, I'd like to gather more
data with a variety of servers.  But at least one data point suggests
that it might not be too bad!  At least within the close realm of
existing nmh commands on local disk.  But, more data needs to be gathered!

>Your large Gmail test will be interesting.

Yeah, I need to finish up a few more bits so I can use to add messages to
a mailbox as well.