Re: [Nmh-workers] proposed patch for shell metacharacter failure in nmh-

From: Steven Winikoff
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] proposed patch for shell metacharacter failure in nmh-1.7
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 11:39:52 -0500

>That's just where the shell ran into trouble.
>
>The decoded text is:
>
>    'SEAO - Résultats d''ouverture (002).pdf

Yes, I see how that explains all the symptoms.  Thank you for being patient
enough to explain that!

>I'm not sure there's a good way to fix this.  Maybe this?
>
>   'SEAO - Résultats d'"'"'ouverture (002).pdf'

I believe that's the right thing to do, and the only real alternative
to removing the ' characters altogether.

Meanwhile, I just ran into an entirely unrelated problem that I hope you
won't mind advising me on.

I don't have access to an SMTP server with an open submission port, so in
1.7 I had to add the '-port 25' option to this .mh_profile entry:

   send:  -alias .aliases -msgid -port 25

This works perfectly.  But last night I tried to use 1.7's rcvdist for the
first time, and ran into this:

   % rcvdist smw < ~/Mail/inbox/18
   post: problem initializing server; [RPLY] 530 5.7.0 Authentication required
   /local/pkg/nmh/root-nmh-1.7/bin/post: exit 1

So of course I added

   rcvdist:  -port 25

But that doesn't help, or at least it doesn't help enough:

   % rcvdist smw < ~/Mail/inbox/18
   post: missing argument to -port
   /local/pkg/nmh/root-nmh-1.7/bin/post: exit 1

I tried adding

   post:  -port 25

in addition, but resulted in exactly the same error message.

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff                |
Concordia University           | "It is easier to love humanity than to
Montreal, QC, Canada           |  love one's neighbor."
address@hidden   |