Re: [Nmh-workers] Where are we at for 1.7.1?

From: Todd C. Miller
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Where are we at for 1.7.1?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 14:11:09 -0700

On 31 Jan 2018 13:48:51 -0700, "Andy Bradford" wrote:

> So it's interesting  that even though I have libiconv  installed, when I
> build as indicated, I don't get iconv support linked in, but somehow the
> port did (perhaps due to the LIB_DEPENDS) as mentioned previously.

The OpenBSD C compiler does not look in /usr/local/include or
/usr/local/lib by default but the nmh port's Makefile does.
CONFIGURE_ENV sets up the environment so configure will look
in those locations.  Specifically:

CONFIGURE_ENV=          ac_cv_header_db_h=no \
                        CPPFLAGS="-I${LOCALBASE}/include" \
                        LDFLAGS="-L${LOCALBASE}/lib"

> Which means that when building from ports, nmh will have iconv, but when
> building stand-alone, it will not (given that it couldn't find iconv.h).

If you run configure like:

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure

it will find iconv.

 - todd