Re: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:36:35 -0500

>> hold onto your hats because i'd also like to do this even for imap
>> mailboxes which are not present in my file system at all, and Maildir
>> mailboxes which are present but not in the format MH thinks they are.
>
>OK.  I think past mentions of
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace have been rebutted
>with non-portability.  That Wikipedia page now says `Linux, FreeBSD,
>OpenBSD, NetBSD (as puffs), OpenSolaris, Minix 3, Android and macOS'.

Weeeellll ... I still think portability is a bigger concern than
you realize.  I've seen a number of people complain that porting a
FUSE layer from Linux to non-Linux can be challenging, because the
differences between the filesystem interface semantics means that the
FUSE layer behaves differently between operating systems.  It just seems
like a gigantic nightmare.  And the fact that a number of IMAP-via-FUSE
projects that have been started and abandoned suggests to me that
mapping an IMAP mailbox to a filesystem is actually a difficult problem;
presenting an filesystem interface that was an MH mailbox would even be a
HARDER problem.

If people want to attempt it, then please do so!  Don't let me stop
anyone; it's just not something I think is worthwhile for me to spend
my time on.