nss-mysql-users

Re: [Nss-mysql-users] lastchange_column

From: Guillaume Morin
Subject: Re: [Nss-mysql-users] lastchange_column
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:59:22 +0200

Hi Nick,

Dans un message du 24 avr à  0:36, Nick De Decker écrivait :
> Now my question is : does nss-mysql need a password field in my "passwd"
> table when shadow is enabled, or can i just delete the
> "users.password_column" line in nss-mysql.conf ? Or will this ocassionaly
> crash my system during lockups ?

You can delete it. It will never be used by nss-mysql if compiled with
shadow support.

> Isn't there a sample.sql dump which allready includes the shadow-fields.
> What datatype should i use for the lastchanged field in my database?

It is not a problem with your table structure, it is a rights issue. See
the SHADOW file in the distribution. It explains how you can use shadow
support with only one user table.

> Another thing : is there a way to prevent users to see login and pass in the
> nss-mysql.conf ? I guess not ?

No, it is not. This is like your /etc/passwd that everyone must be able
to read. This is why you must carefully set the rights of the MySQL user
that you use in nss-mysql.conf. Again, SHADOW contains information about
this.

If you use nscd, you can restrict of nss-mysql.conf to use under which
nscd runs BUT if it crashes, nss-mysql will stop working.

HTH.

--
Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>

                             La vie est facétieuse