Re: [patch] Use C linkage for dynamic linking

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: [patch] Use C linkage for dynamic linking
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:04:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, John W. Eaton wrote:

> Actually, this is not the name of the function, it remains Fbesselj.
> It is the name of a function that the dynamic loader calls to install
> the function name in the symbol table, along with a pointer to the
> actual function (Fbesselj in this case).  So it should not require any
> changes to user code, even if people are calling functions using the
> Fbesselj style name (which they really shouldn't be -- they should be
> using feval instead).

You're right that user code is not affected. My terminology in the patch
note was rather vague.

Now there's the issue of being able to load existing .oct files without
having to rebuild everything. Now that Octave has decided to go the C
linkage route, is it important to provide backward compatibility for
of the two approaches -- have the mangler return a *list* of possible
mangled names (eg., list containing a C linkage name and a C++ linkage
name that's appropriate for that ABI), and octave_shlib::search will
iterate over the list.  If this is appropriate, it's rather trivial to
work up a patch (take a bit longer if I have to use SLList<T> instead
of std::list<T>).

Regards,
Mumit