Re: randn benchmarks

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: randn benchmarks
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:32:06 -0500

Comparing apples to apples (randmt to rand instead
of randn), I find that octave-forge's rand is faster on
both IRIX and Linux.  I can squeeze another 25% out
of it by directly accessing the array values.  I will need
to do this anyway for N-d array support.  I will post this
code in a bit (it is on another machine which just stopped
responding).

I would also like to switch to using the mainline
code for MT (mt19937ar-cok.c) and I've made the
appropriate changes to allow this.  However this
will generate a different sequence from the same
seed, so I would rather not make this change until
we are ready to move to a randn based on ziggurat.

Still have no word on license for ziggurat...

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden