fopen rb

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: fopen rb
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:40:03 -0500

On 15-Apr-2004, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm not thrilled to have a different default from the POSIX
| interface --- it will surprise C programmers.  Having a
| different default from Matlab will surprise a different set
| of users.

We have the same problem for strcmp.

| Maybe we could warn if neither 't' nor 'b' are
| specified?  I'm not too thrilled about that either.

How about a once-per-session temporary warning, at least for the
change in the interface?  It could be conditional on a global
variable, say __disable_fopen_interface_change__, which if it exists
(with any value) says to omit the warning?  That way, people who want
to can disable the warning by adding

  global __disable_fopen_interface_change__;

to their ~/.octaverc files.  Eventually, we could remove the warning.