Re: ITP: octave-2.1.71

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: ITP: octave-2.1.71
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:50:17 +0200

James R. Phillips wrote:

--- Brian Dessent  wrote:

Out of curiosity, what if anything have you done to address the SJLJ
issue/PR 14563?  To summarize, the Cygwin packaged gcc has had
--enable-sjlj-exceptions for quite a while because DW2 exceptions are
broken in certain circumstances (namely, when throwing an exception in a
function used in a callback where the caller doesn't know DW2, eg. win32
api.)  I don't know much at all about octave but if it does not use any
callbacks in these situations then it might be worthwhile if you
compiled the binaries with a DW2 EH-enabled gcc, to avoid the massive
speed hit reported.

Brian

Brian,

This issue occurs in John Eaton's list of stuff to do, but I don't know
anything else about it.  Will forward to octave maintainers list for comments.

Thanks.

Jim Phillips

I'm working on getting a mingw build working that avoids the speed hit. Using "nothrow new" would mean rather a large number of changes within octave sources itself, and probably as much work as a mingw build, so I prefer to work on a mingw build. In any case Paul Thomas reported that the SJLJ issue equally affects the vtable in octave and so we also take a large hit there, which can't be addressed with "nothrow new"..

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary