Re: Suggestion: startup.d subdirectory for use by octaverc

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Suggestion: startup.d subdirectory for use by octaverc
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:09:17 -0400

On Jul 4, 2005, at 1:19 AM, James R. Phillips wrote:

--- Paul Kienzle  wrote:

Anything in the system path is automatically located in octave.  If it
is not on the system path, but in some personal path, you can add e.g.,
LOADPATH=["~/octave//:",LOADPATH] to your .octaverc file and all
packages within ~/octave and all its subdirectories will be
automatically loaded.

I detect a certain lack of enthusiasm for my idea ;).

Sure, I am aware of this feature.  I'm thinking in terms of system
administration and packaging design, not so much of user-installed packages. Actually, I'm thinking ahead to producing an octave-forge package for cygwin,
and it seemed this feature might be handy, to eliminate the need for a
post-install script that adds the octave-forge load path by editing octaverc.

My point is that you do not need to add the octave-forge load path to octaverc if you install it in the standard system place. Furthermore, if you have a packaging system for octave which installs user-local packages, you will only need a single entry in the octaverc file pointing to the root of the user-local directory, and this will automatically pick up all the user-local packages. In either case, you do not need a post-install script to add the new package to the LOADPATH. The remaining package-specific startup features that you might put in startup directory can equally go into the PKG_ADD file for the package.

So as far as I can tell, adding a startup directory doesn't add any power or convenience.

BTW, you're an octave-forge developer, I believe? I have found that the octave-forge makefile structure doesn't seem to support "out of tree" builds. This is a commonly used method to keep the source tree clean during the build, and is recommended by cygwin developers for cygwin packages. If you have any ideas on how to make octave-forge build "out of tree", I'd be interested in
them.  Otherwise I guess I'll just work around the issue.

I played with this a little a while back and concluded I didn't have time to do it properly.

Rather than spending time fixing the current system, I would recommend extending Søren's packaging system so that it can handle each of the octave-forge subdirectories independently, including out of tree builds, and have a small bit of build glue at the top which triggers the build in each subdirectory.

- Paul