RE: fftw on cygwin

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: RE: fftw on cygwin
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:01:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Billings wrote:

> I believe a generic version of FFTW would suffice.  In contrast to ATLAS
> which does extensive benchmarking at make/compile time, FFTW does run-time
> measurements (or can load previously saved measurements or "wisdom").
> Whatever instruction set that cygwin is generally targeting should be fine,
> although I suppose you could have two versions: one for "barebones" and one
> for SSE/SSE2 or whatever is appropriate (I forget the differences).  The
> user would simply check one or the other in the cygwin setup application.
>
> Paul

The FFTW web page indicates that a package built with sse2 optimization (the
most commonly available) would still run on a non-sse2 machine, so that is a
strong possibility.

I am experimenting with the source today, trying to build a shared
double-precision library on cygwin.  The build system uses libtool, which I am
fairly unfamiliar with, so this is a bit trial and error.

Would a double-precision library be sufficient for most uses, including for
linking with octave?

The debian octave package also includes hdf5 libs as a dependency.  This is
support for a portable scientific data format.  Do you have use for this on
cygwin?