Re: source control management for Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: source control management for Octave
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:40:57 -0500

On  2-Nov-2005, Paul Kienzle wrote:

| I'm fine with subversion so long as there are other major projects that
| have been using it for a while and are happy.

| I notice that R is using it, and after a bit of apt magic to get
| subversion on my system I could download the latest revision.

The gcc project also recently switched to svn from cvs.

I think the big advantage for me would be the ability to move files
around without losing history.

Currently, I use rsync to copy the contents of the real cvs archive to
www.octave.org, where it is accessible to the world in a read-only
mode.  I think I might prefer to continue doing that, even if
subversion allows other ways to handle read-only public access (it
makes me a bit nervous to make the real archive public, even if there
it is supposed to be safe).  Does anyone have experience doing this?
After looking at svn briefly last week, I also thought it would be
best to use the fsfs filesystem instead of the Berkeley database.
Is that the right thing to do?

Thanks,