Re: source control management for Octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: source control management for Octave
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:26:38 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:

On  2-Nov-2005, Paul Kienzle wrote:

| I'm fine with subversion so long as there are other major projects that | have been using it for a while and are happy.

| I notice that R is using it, and after a bit of apt magic to get | subversion on my system I could download the latest revision.

The gcc project also recently switched to svn from cvs.

I think the big advantage for me would be the ability to move files
around without losing history.

Currently, I use rsync to copy the contents of the real cvs archive to
www.octave.org, where it is accessible to the world in a read-only
mode.  I think I might prefer to continue doing that, even if
subversion allows other ways to handle read-only public access (it
makes me a bit nervous to make the real archive public, even if there
it is supposed to be safe).  Does anyone have experience doing this?
After looking at svn briefly last week, I also thought it would be
best to use the fsfs filesystem instead of the Berkeley database.
Is that the right thing to do?

Thanks,

jwe

I'm not that experienced with SVN, but I thought that it allowed distributed management in that a checked-out tree could be used directly to create another tree that might be considered the ROOT for someone else. If that is the case, can't a simple checkout/update be used to replace the rsync.. Sorry I'm not to clear on the details, I've never tried this...

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary