octave GUI proof of concept

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: octave GUI proof of concept
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:03:22 +0100

Ok,

So I wrote a proof-of-concept GUI for octave. As I mentioned before, I intend to have a GUI/IDE with syntax highlighting and integrated plotting, so it looks much like Matlab.

Well, I've got the basic window with a prompt (including readline-like functionality) and a basic text editor (no syntax highlighting). It's 444 lines of code, and you can find it here: http://www.math.mcgill.ca/loisel/octave-gui/ You'll need QT, probably version 4 or 4.1, to get it going, but the advantage is that my code is very simple!

I'm still missing the plotter, but I don't think that will be long either. Once I've written a basic plotter as well, it's 90% done and all that's left is the other 90%.

In principle, this code would compile in MinGW as well, but I gave up on MinGW for the time being because I wanted to get a prototype working and MinGW was getting in the way. I am looking forward to David's imminent release of a MinGW octave.

Note that my code doesn't even need to be compiled as part of octave; it links against the regular octave libraries without using the octave source. So you don't need to build octave from source. You wouldn't need to build QT4 from source either, except of course if you can't find a QT4 rpm for your OS. I couldn't find one for CentOS 4.2 (or RHEL4) so I spent yesterday night compiling QT4.

I will let you know once plotting works (tomorrow?)

Cheers,

Sebastien Loisel