Minimal requirements from a handle graphics package

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Minimal requirements from a handle graphics package
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:42:35 +0200

Hi all,

This is a preliminary list of low-level functions which should be made
available by any handle graphics package. This is my list of course
and I would expect many comments and changes. The documentation to
these functions is available from the octplot CVS repository in the
src directory.

get
set
print
figure
axes
cla
clf
line
text
patch
surface

Any implementation should also provide the root object, handle=0

With these functions in place one can use any of the other high-level
functions available now in octplot
(plot,bar,contour,pcolor,freqz,....). Of course, if the objects lack
certain properties the output will be a bit different (i.e. if the
line object has no marker property, you will not be able to show
different markers), but as long as set/get handle this gracefully
there should be no problem.

Comments, rants, additions welcome

Shai

p.s. The octplot CVS is available for browsing at

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/octplot/octplot/src