Octave-forge and problems with SF

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave-forge and problems with SF
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 03:04:02 -0400

On 10-May-2006, Thomas Weber wrote:

| Now, is the situation better using ssh access? In that case, I would
| mail one of the admins to get a developer access.

I think the developer CVS archive should be up to date (if the server
allows you access).  I don't think that the anonymous archive is
currently in sync with the latest developer sources.

| What I'm trying to do: get a cvs-snapshot of Octave 2.9 and a
| corresponding snapshot of octave-forge for a Debian package.

What package?  Are you planning to distribute it, or is it just for
testing the package build?  If you are planning to distribute it, then
I'd ask that you reconsider and please not distribute packages of CVS
snapshots made at random points in time.  That's a sure way to have
people decide that Octave is unreliable and buggy.  When you grab a
CVS snapshot you have no way of knowing whether it will even compile.
If it does, then that is no guarantee that things are working
properly.  Although we try to avoid it, at times there may be
half-completed or untested patches checked in.