Re: Octave-forge and problems with SF

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Octave-forge and problems with SF
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:27:40 +0200

Hi,

in case it's not clear: I'm a member of the Debian Octave Group.

Am Mittwoch, den 10.05.2006, 03:04 -0400 schrieb John W. Eaton:
> | What I'm trying to do: get a cvs-snapshot of Octave 2.9 and a
> | corresponding snapshot of octave-forge for a Debian package.
>
> What package?  Are you planning to distribute it, or is it just for
> testing the package build?

First testing, later a distribution might be possible. In that case,
this will be an additional package (something like octave2.9-snapshot).
This however is undecided and your thoughts on it are obviously
important.

The reason for this: we (in Debian) are currently shipping an
octave-forge version which is compiled against 2.1.73. There's a request
for some time to compile it against 2.9 as well; however, the latest
release of octave-forge is meant to be compiled against 2.1, so there
are some problems ("make check" fails) when compiling it against Octave
2.9.

In fact, at first I only wanted to compile octave-forge CVS to check if
it compiles and checks cleanly (and then patch the minimal necessary
changes into the released package), but then things got somewhat out of
hand -- octave-forge CVS needed stuff from Octave CVS, ...

> If you are planning to distribute it, then
> I'd ask that you reconsider and please not distribute packages of CVS
> snapshots made at random points in time.

This won't happen (i.e. I don't plan to ship CVS every Monday, or so).
This would indeed be a recipe for disaster. But as I said, there is no
decision (in fact, not even a real discussion of it).

Thanks
        Thomas