SONAMES for Octave's libraries

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: SONAMES for Octave's libraries
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 02:12:50 -0400

On 20-May-2006, Thomas Weber wrote:

| sorry for the long mail, a summary of this mail is as follows:
| Is there a chance to have SONAME versioning for the three shared
| libraries of Octave, namely
|       libcruft.so
|       liboctave.so
|       liboctinterp.so
| and thus put the libraries under /usr/lib and not under a special
| subdirectory?

Yes, I would consider such a change.

http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#sonameapiabi

| Things that change the ABI (which is the important part for a SONAME
| change) in C++:
| http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/362

I don't really want to become an expert in this, but if someone
submits a patch I will consider it.

| Now, I'm not sure when Octave's api_version is bumped, but it might make
| a good candidate for the soname numbering.

The api version is supposed to be updated when there are changes which
would break binary compatibility so it seems like a reasonable identifier
to use for this purpose.

Thanks,