Re: graphics issues

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: graphics issues
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:12:37 -0400

John W. Eaton wrote:
My guess is that Bill wasn't thinking about 3D graphics.  Or how to
handle tic marks etc.  Or maybe he was.  Bill?
I was thinking of both of these, but I was planning on requiring some intelligence from the backend for handling 3d-- there are too many issues with what to draw with 3d. For tic marks, I was planning on handling that internally. To me, any backend should produce something almost identical from the same input to the front end. Allowing different tic marks would be a relatively significant difference to me.
| Even if you didn't use Bill's code, there's an advantage to having the tick
| and label placement logic in .m files. You're the one who kept asking me for
| the least amount of stuff to be done in C++ as possible, and the most
| possible in .m files.

Sure, it's a reasonable goal, but if some code already exists to do
the job and there's a way for us to use it, there's no point in
reinventing it as a .m file.  So does OpenGL have good routines for
autoplacement of tic marks and axis labels given data ranges and font
metrics?
Automatic tic mark placement isn't too hard of a problem. I've written code to to it before (I just have to find it), but it's not in what I posted in May.

Bill