Questions about the pager

From: John Swensen
Subject: Questions about the pager
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:13:18 -0500

I recently have discovered the my IDE fails when the pager is turned on. I think I have narrowed down the problem, but need advice from someone with more UNIXy PTY experience than I. I am using the patch that JWE pointed me to, which I modified per the maintainers request and re-submitted to the VTE. It allows me to make the IDE and octave the same process. I am not 100% sure exactly how it works, other than the fact that I open a new pseudo-TTY and attach the master side to the VTE widget and run octave inside the pseudo-TTY using the following function run as a thread.

void* octave_main_wrapper(void *dummy)
{
 // TODO: pass in the real argc, argv
 int argc = 1;
 char* argv[] = {"/usr/bin/octave"};
 octave_main(argc,argv,0);

 do_octave_atexit();

 cout << "Exiting Octave - debug CTRL-C" << endl;

 return 0;
}

The problem seems to arise when the pager is called. I think this is because Octave is actually spawning an instance of 'less' and for some reason it is attached to the TTY of the terminal from which I ran octave, rather than being attached to the pseudo-TTY in which Octave is running. Can anyone give some advice on this issue? Namely, is there a way to make the pager run inside the same pseudo-TTY as the octave process.

John Swensen