Re: Questions about the pager

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Questions about the pager
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:57:04 -0500

John Swensen wrote:
I recently have discovered the my IDE fails when the pager is turned on. I think I have narrowed down the problem, but need advice from someone with more UNIXy PTY experience than I. I am using the patch that JWE pointed me to, which I modified per the maintainers request and re-submitted to the VTE. It allows me to make the IDE and octave the same process. I am not 100% sure exactly how it works, other than the fact that I open a new pseudo-TTY and attach the master side to the VTE widget and run octave inside the pseudo-TTY using the following function run as a thread.

void* octave_main_wrapper(void *dummy)
{
 // TODO: pass in the real argc, argv
 int argc = 1;
 char* argv[] = {"/usr/bin/octave"};
 octave_main(argc,argv,0);

 do_octave_atexit();

 cout << "Exiting Octave - debug CTRL-C" << endl;

 return 0;
}

The problem seems to arise when the pager is called. I think this is because Octave is actually spawning an instance of 'less' and for some reason it is attached to the TTY of the terminal from which I ran octave, rather than being attached to the pseudo-TTY in which Octave is running. Can anyone give some advice on this issue? Namely, is there a way to make the pager run inside the same pseudo-TTY as the octave process.

John Swensen

I would like to amend this statement. In fact, the pager output does show up in the VTE window, it is the input to the pager that must come from the original terminal from which I launched my IDE. So, forward, back, quit, nor CTRL-C works from the VTE window, but they do work from the original terminal.

John Swensen