Re: Octave/Win32 update

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave/Win32 update
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:54:43 +0100

Benjamin Lindner wrote:
>> A new version of octave for Win32 has been made available, see
>> http://www.dbateman.org/?page=octave&lang=EN
>
> I have downloaded and installed the octave package, along with msvc8 and
> microsoft sdk.
> When I try to compile the hello.cc from the /example directory in the source
> code I get the follwing error message:
>
> C:\programs\Octave\bin> mkoctfile c:\temp\hello.cc
> hello.cc
> c:\programs\octave\include\octave-2.9.9+\octave\ov.h(34) : fatal error C1083:
> Cannot open include file: 'hdf5.h': No such file or directory
> LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'c:\temp\hello.o'
>
> searching the installation tree yields that there is no hdf5.h header, also
> no fftw header files.
> Aren't these headers supposed to be present, or am I missing something here?
> Does one need to install additional packaegs to be able to compile oct files?
>
> benjamin

Ouch... That's a pretty silly dependency.. I can see why it is there, as
"hid_t" must be defined for the save_hdf5 and load_hdf5 functions.. I'd
be inclined to remove the include of hdf5.h and replace it with

typedef int hid_t;

Can you try editing c:\programs\octave\include\octave-2.9.9+\octave\ov.h
and do that? John what change do you want to make to support this, or do
you want to require that HDF5 development files are installed to build
oct-files?

Regards
David