Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:44:11 +0200

On 4/23/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
OK, there has recently been some discussion about how stem should be
handled, and I don't think we can really do it correctly until we have
a stemseries object in the property database code in graphics.cc.  If
you understand what exactly a barseries object is supposed to be, it
would be helpful if you could provide some clues about how this should
be implemented.  I also think that this belongs in the front end that
is part of Octave, not seaprately in each backend renderer.

A barseries object is an extended hggroup object (== additional properties)
with a patch object as single child; each face of the patch corresponds to
a bar in the barseries. The baseline is a child of the axes and shared between
barseries (and probably stemseries).

3D bars seem implemented using regular surface objects. Faces are
separated by the use of NaN's (like in stemseries object). This seems strange
they didn't use barseries and patches like in the 2D case.

Michael.