Re: Documenting the plotting system

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Documenting the plotting system
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:06:58 -0400

On 28-May-2007, Shai Ayal wrote:

| On 5/27/07, Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
| > Hi,
| >    As some know I've spend some time on the manual trying to update it
| > for 3.0. I've started at chapter 1 and read my way through the first 15
| > chapters, and now I find my self at the chapter on plotting. This is one
| > of the things that have changed a lot in the last couple of months, so I
| > have a couple of questions:
| >
| > 1) How stable is the code? I don't want to spend time documenting it if
| > the API will change in the near future.
|
| the high level functions (plot etc...) are pretty stable. I don't
| think their interface will change. Maybe features will be added, but
| current interface will be preserved since matlab compatibility is a
| goal. The low level c++ API and functions begining with __ will likely
| change a lot.

The doc strings for functions with names that begin and end with "__"
should not appear in the manual.  Currently, most have very terse doc
strings.  Maybe we should change the doc strings for all of them to say

  This is an undocumented internal function.

Any documentation for these functions would then only be available by
looking at the source.