Re: dirty but most simple method by which pkg install will be successful

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: dirty but most simple method by which pkg install will be successful in mingw octave
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:11:32 +0100

David Bateman wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote:
I don't understand why this is needed.  As far as I know, Windows
should not care whether the directory separator is \ or /.  So what is
rejecting \ on a Windows system?  If it is Octave, then we should fix
it so that either \ or / will work.  I don't think the correct
solution can be to change the default file separator to /.

I also do not understand ad hoc why there is a problem.
Yes, Windows does allow '/' and '\' as directory seperators, I found that it works even in mixtures.
My octave build uses '\', also in pkg.m

octave:1:T:\octave_2.9.12-2\bin
> pkg list
Package Name       | Version | Installation directory
-------------------+---------+-----------------------
combinatorics *| 1.0.1 | T:\octave_2.9.12-2\share\octave\packages\combinatorics-1.0.1
octave:2:T:\octave_2.9.12-2\bin
> pkg prefix
T:\octave_2.9.12-2\share\octave\packages

I didn't analyze the situation just proposed the fix that was equivalent
to what was done in the propose filesep function.. Someone on mingw will
have to figure this one out.

Personally, I'd be very careful to change the file separator to '/'.

Tatsuro, at which stage in the pkg build process does the error occur? during configure or during make?
What does a system("which make") yield?

benjamin