The problem of file separator of mingw octave on Japanese windows. Re: 3

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: The problem of file separator of mingw octave on Japanese windows. Re: 3.0.1 release?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:35:56 +0900 (JST)

Hello

Do you remember the thead?

"dirty but most simple method by which pkg install will be successful in mingw
octave"

http://www.nabble.com/dirty-but-most-simple-method-by-which-pkg-install-will-be-successful-in-mingw-octave-tt13619782.html#a13619782

I have still been using the modified filesep='/' in dirfcns.cc
Because pkg install does not work in my system wihout it
octave.exe:4> pkg install -local -verbose io-1.0.3.tar.gz
cp: missing destination file
Try `cp --help' for more information.
mkdir (C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2)
untar (io-1.0.3.tar.gz, C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2)
make: Entering directory `/tmp/oct-2/io-1.0.3/src'
mkoctfile dlmread.cc
mkoctfile textread.cc
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/oct-2/io-1.0.3/src'
warning: package io is empty

mkdir (C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2)
untar (io-1.0.3.tar.gz, C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2)

In my msys sytem (perhaps in the msys in Japanese windows),
the files separator '\' should be used with

mkdir "C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2"
or
mkdir C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\\oct-2

is able to work.

I think that the former is better as patch.
I have ever considered the patch but I have never find where should be modified.

Please give me advises.

In my speculation, the above prblem is Japanese windows specific problem.
Please see the following in the prevous threads
******************
In Japanese windows, we use Chinese and Japanese charactors (Kanji charactors).
Japanese windows have the shift-jis kanji code.

A shift-jis kanji code consist of 2 bytes.  The first byte code is larger than
80(HEX).
But second byte is not always larger than 80(HEX) and some kanji uses 5C(HEX).
The 5C(HEX) is the code of '\'.
The facts make Jananese kanji code treatment very complex.

I do not know the trouble comes from the above.
But the treatment of the seperator may be complex for Japanese system.

The above is only speculation.
That's why I don't have english windows.

I think this is a good chance to kick out this problem.

Regards

Tatsuro

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/