Re: Problem with dbstep

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problem with dbstep
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 09:25:15 -0400

On  9-Jul-2008, David Bateman wrote:

| Looking at the backtrace I assume that this is with a recent HG build..
| Note that there were changes commited to the repository yesterday that
| relate to these aspects. However, just testing this example it crashes
| before and after applying these changes.
|
| The fix is clearly that the pt-bp.h (MAYBE_DO_BREAKPOINT) macro has to
| recognize that ta function is returning and not break or decrement its
| counters. However, I'm not sure how that should be implemented. JWE what
| is the means to check whether a function is returning in this macro?

Yes, we need to decide what should happen when we are at the end of a
function and there is no next line to step to.  As a temporary fix, it
might be OK to just not allow stepping, but I think it would be
better to step to the next line in the calling function (if any) or
back to the top level prompt.  But I don't really understand the
debugging code very well, and I don't know what the proper fix is.

Also, I noticed that for the example function (which takes an argument)

  dbstop test
  test
  dbstep

also crashes Octave when it tries to print the error message and I
don't know what the proper fix is for that either.