Re: strings assignment fix

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: strings assignment fix
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:26:47 -0400

On  1-Oct-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| Since my write access to savannah is now working, I've applied the
| changeset myself.

Thanks, I just had not gotten to the point of applying the patch yet.

But since I've been using the archive on savannah as a mirror of my
local archive, I wasn't actually expecting anyone else to write to it
so I'm glad I noticed this message from you before I tried pushing to
the archive or I would have been surprised to find that changes had
been made to it.

However, I would like to move toward having multiple people writing to
the archive, but perhaps with several different privilege levels.  For
example, we may have some people who are savannah users who can only
commit to the web pages, others who can only commit to the sources
with approval, and others who can commit to certain portionns of the
source tree without needing approval, and others who have global write
access without needing approval.

I don't think we can actually enforce rules like this other than by
simple agreement.

Also, we need to have a policy for what to do in case there are
conflicts.  For example, I think that the series of changes in the
public archive should be a simple linear set of changes.  There should
never be more than one head in the archive, and, as much as possible,
no half-baked changes and false starts.  I think those are things that
belong in local archives on your development system, not in the public
archive.

But before we open up commits to everyone who joins the Octave project
on savannah, I think we should discuss the policy here and then write
it up and put it on the Octave web pages.