Re: Difference in greek tic marks for x11 and aqua?

From: Ethan Merritt
Subject: Re: Difference in greek tic marks for x11 and aqua?
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:46:32 -0800

On Monday 03 November 2008 08:54:57 Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Ethan A Merritt
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I can guarantee that this works correctly inside gnuplot.
> > Of course, if your system doesn't really have those fonts installed.....
> >
> >> I am not sure if it is a bug in octave or just a feature of x11 terminal.
> >
> > I suspect it is neither, but instead an issue with the local system
> > font configuration.
> >

> Ataached are two snapshots. First is the result of
>
>  set term x11 enh
>  set xlabel "{/Symbol q}, radians" font "Helvetica, 20"
>  plot sin(x)

Aha.
What a difference it makes to see what you are actually trying to do :-)
I mis-understood the original description.  Sorry.

I thought you were trying to get a different size font for the
symbol as compared to the rest of the text, as in:
   set xlabel "{/Symbol=20 q}, radians"

This works fine in both gnuplot 4.2 and cvs.

But as I know understand it, your observation is that the command
   set xlabel "{/Symbol q}, radians" font <face,size>
does not change the initial font used by enhanced text processing.

In other words, it should act equivalently to
    set xlabel "{/Helvetica=20 {/Symbol q}, radians}"
but it doesn't.

Yes, the x11 terminal seems to behave differently that other terminals
in this regard, which is a bug.

The command variant above demonstrates a work-around
to use for 4.2 and current cvs.

        thanks for the report

--
Ethan A Merritt