Re: fopen always returns fid=-1 since revision 8380

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: fopen always returns fid=-1 since revision 8380
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:56:58 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek schrieb:
Thomas,

I guess that by 8380 you meant 8379, because 8380 in savannah is "fix
& improve speed of diagonal matrix multiplication". Or is it the other
way around? Please clarify.

Hi Jaroslav,

thank you for your quick answer. It was this one (8379) that I meant, you're
right:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ad8ed668e0a4

Now I've to say that I learned something new. I always do

  hg update -C

where '-C' stands for "-C --clean overwrite locally modified files". I took 8380 from my local machine repository but commited something else before locally (that's why I was talking about my local 8380 but meant savannah 8379).

What I would expect if I do 'hg update -C' is that 8375 in my local repository is thrown to nirvana - but it's still there. Now I've got another question, which hg subcommand must I take to completely overwrite all my changes with the savannah sources? Is there any subcommand, or must I always clone a repository to get the original files?

Did you rerun ./autogen.sh to regenerate the configure scripts? That
is probably necessary, because the old definition
of macro OCTAVE_LOCAL_BUFFER was directly in config.h.

Twice a year I forget about 'autogen.sh'. This time I did forget about it, too. I also cloned the savannah repository and created a new one on my computer. Then the problem disappeared.

In any case OCTAVE_LOCAL_BUFFER now *should* work with bools (as
opposed to the old one), therefore your patch is not the right way to
do (unless we become really desperate).

Yes right.

If the answer to the above question is yes, please check for
HAVE_DYNAMIC_AUTO_ARRAYS in config.h.

My lines in config.h look like

  /* Define if C++ supports dynamic auto arrays */
  #define HAVE_DYNAMIC_AUTO_ARRAYS 1

No need to set it '0', right?

If it's defined, please try disabling it and compile again (will
recompile just about everything apart from libcruft, unfortunately). I
suspect that dynamic stack arrays can be buggy with some compilers.
What's your compiler, anyway?

A self made f2c/fort77 combination together with gcc/g++ 4.0.1.

Sorry for the noise, thanks for your tips and best regards,

  Thomas