Re: Octave & Fortran continued

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave & Fortran continued
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:51:06 +0000

[hit "Send" too early...]

> :) If I found a non-libtool way to build, I used this one. It yields the
> same results much faster and with less overhead.

That's what I did at first. Then I found that the time I spent to tweak
every single build system to make it work with MSVC was higher
than just using libtool (hacked, but at least this hacked libtool can
be re-used for all packages). Moreover, libtool-based build are usually
much better maintained by the package developers than Win32 build.

> You mentioned that you had to re-libtoolize many packages. This way you
> need to touch the sources anyway, and I need to touch the libtool code again
> for shared libgcc suport, so one way or another it is not really
> an "out-of-the-box" build, is it?

Did I say "many"? Sorry then. IIRC, it was only 2 of them.

> But, hey, it's only naming, so what's the fuzz about it. The import library
> must use the lib prefix, otherwise the linker won't find it, and the dll can
> use the same prefix - here it does not matter which prefix you use.

Indeed, it's only naming. More important to me is whether shared
libstdc++ is required for octave or not.

Michael.