Re: recent changes to help functions

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: recent changes to help functions
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:00:37 +0100

s n, 25 01 2009 kl. 19:18 +0100, skrev Soren Hauberg:
> s n, 25 01 2009 kl. 19:01 +0100, skrev David Bateman:
> > Again this worked in October when I was working on the OOP stuff. Can't
> > say if it worked recently..
>
> Okay, so I got tricked by the simple fact that the only function that
> actually has any documentation in the 'examples/@polynomial' directory
> is indeed the 'polynomial' function. So, this did indeed work before.
> But it also seems to work with the m-file implementation. The only
> problem being that the error message is bad. That is, if I type
>
>   help @polynomial/polyval
>
> and this function doesn't have any documentation, then I get an error
> message saying
>
>   error: help: address@hidden/polyval' not found
>
> which is very misleading (it should just say that the function is not
> documented).

Okay, the attached changeset changes the error message into saying that
the function is not documented. Now this stuff seems to work just fine
for me.

I do, however, still see one regression: I cannot do

  type @polynomial/set

which used to be possible. The problem is that

  exist ("@polynomial/set")

returns 0 which the new implementation of 'type' cannot handle. So, my
question is: should the above call to 'exist' return something else, or
should the 'type' implementation be changed such that it doesn't depend
on 'exist'?

Soren