Re: recent changes to help functions

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: recent changes to help functions
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 15:43:49 -0500

On Jan 25, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

søn, 25 01 2009 kl. 19:18 +0100, skrev Søren Hauberg:
søn, 25 01 2009 kl. 19:01 +0100, skrev David Bateman:
Again this worked in October when I was working on the OOP stuff. Can't
say if it worked recently..

Okay, so I got tricked by the simple fact that the only function that
actually has any documentation in the 'examples/@polynomial' directory
is indeed the 'polynomial' function. So, this did indeed work before.
But it also seems to work with the m-file implementation. The only
problem being that the error message is bad. That is, if I type

 help @polynomial/polyval

and this function doesn't have any documentation, then I get an error
message saying

 error: help: address@hidden/polyval' not found

which is very misleading (it should just say that the function is not
documented).

Okay, the attached changeset changes the error message into saying that
the function is not documented. Now this stuff seems to work just fine
for me.

I do, however, still see one regression: I cannot do

 type @polynomial/set

which used to be possible. The problem is that

 exist ("@polynomial/set")

returns 0 which the new implementation of 'type' cannot handle. So, my
question is: should the above call to 'exist' return something else, or should the 'type' implementation be changed such that it doesn't depend
on 'exist'?

Søren

Regarding exist ("@polynomial/set"), the commercial implementation gives me the result below

>> mkdir @polynomial