Re: fsolve test failure

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: fsolve test failure
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:38:28 -0500

On 29-Jan-2009, John W. Eaton wrote:

| On 29-Jan-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
|
| | >  x = optimset ();

| |
| | This call returns an empty structure. What do you mean?

OK, this may be part of the confusion.  In Matlab, I think this
returns a structure with all the known options as fields, but each has
the value of an empty matrix.  But in Octave, we are returning a
structure with no fields.  Should we be compatible here?  How would
optimset know about all options used by all optimization functions
that can accept options structures as arguments?  I would prefer to
avoid embedding that knowlege directly in optimset if possible.

| I don't understand what you mean by "it is irrelevant what case ...".
| Doesn't optimset also have to work in a case insensitive way?  But
| when it returns the struct containing the optoins, the fields must
| have the TolX style names, right?  They can't be spelled any other
| way, or code like I posted will fail.

OK, it occurred to me that even if the structure is returned with the
TolX style names, doing something like

  x.tolx = foobar;

will not actually fail.  But this could cause some confusion.  What
would a case-insensitive optimget do if there are two field names that
differ only by case?