Re: I'd like to be a contributor!

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: I'd like to be a contributor!
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:55:10 +0200

JP Ferraro wrote:
 I'd like to translate the "575 page manual" from english to portuguese
| (Brazil). If you accept my contribution, i'd like to know how could i get
| the text to begin the translation work.
** *When i sent him this e-mail, John W. Eaton (address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>) said to let you know about my wish:* I suggest you let people on the address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden> list know about
your plans.

It would also be good for us to develop a way handle translations of
the doc strings in Octave.  Since much of the manual is made up of
these doc strings that are embedded in the sources, it would be good
to edit translations of them if/when they change.  That might also be
a good discussion for the maintainers list.
jwe" --
João Paulo Ferraro T. de Araujo
This problem breaks down into two issues.

1) translating the help strings of the functions themselves, and
2) translating the rest of the manual.

The manual reuses the help strings, and having a system to handle translated help strings would allow you to do something like "ajuda eig"... Octave-forge has the framework to allow this to be done, see

http://octave.sourceforge.net/translation.html

and there is an octave-forge package

http://octave.sourceforge.net/pt_BR/index.html

already for Brazilian Portuguese from Jorge Barros de Abreu. The problem with this is keeping the english and translated strings in agreement, and system in the octave-forge package allows this... In any case I'd suggest you install and load the pt_BR package and play with the translated help strings..

However, that doesn't address the manual itself. Ideally we should translate first all of the help strings of the functions in the manner above and then the *.txi files in Octave and so allow the creation of the translated manual with the same mechanism as the English manual itself...

Regards
David

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)