Re: Questions about testing

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Questions about testing
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:23:30 +0200

Robert T. Short wrote:
Bob has some questions. This is regarding the tests in the tests directory. Mostly I think it is pretty straightforward, but just to make sure I understand.

Most but not all of the files in the test directory have a series of entries of the form

%% test/octave.test/transpose/transpose-1.m
%!test
%! scalar = 2;
%! assert(scalar',2);

Question 1.

What does the first line

%% test/octave.test/transpose/transpose-1.m
The octave test system used to be under DejaGnu, but that instantiated a new instance of Octave for every test. The advantage of that is that even tests that core-dumped octave would stop the other tests running. But the penalty in time is too high when we have a few thousand tests. Most of the scripts in this directory were converted to the new test scheme a few years ago with a lot of nasty scripts and for historical reasons I kept the old DejaGnu filename as a comment.. A few years down the track with DejaGnu buried these lines no longer make sense and should probably go.

do?  I don't find a file anywhere called transpose-1.m

Question 2.

Does the %! have some special significance, or does it just indicate that the embedded code is to be executed as part of the test?
Yes the "%!" anywhere is a file of any sort as the first two characters on a line will cause the Octave test harness to treat the following lines as a test function.. A lot of the m-files and C++ files are sprinkled with such lines.

Question 3.

What does the

%!test

line do?
See the manual

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Test-and-Demo-Functions.html

D.

Bob
--
Robert T. Short
PhaseLocked Systems

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)